Tuesday, April 26, 2011

FrankenDread


     Some of you might know from my other blog Grumble Grumble Eldar that this last weekend saw a great win for the Eldar. However it was that last game in that tournament that really stuck with me and for the reason of this update. As one of the members of the opponents team was the new Grey Knights. This is the first time I have played against them and saw them played up close. Let me tell ya, they can bring down some hurt. However in that game one of my opponents mentioned something and it got me thinking. He said that without a few certain options that GK have trouble vs Arm 12. Which upon closer inspection I agree with.

    I have always seen Arm 12 as a 'medium' armor as on paper it does not look strong when compared to Arm 13 or 14 but when the game gets started it definately seems to last longer than one might think. I think in part it is to do with the mentality of the armor, most people think of 12 as thin so they do not dedicate as much high str anti tank to it as they think things such as S7 or S8 can take care of it. However when you boil it down 7's need 5 to glance 6 to pen the same as a las cannon vs a land raider. Also Arm 12 seems to be the standard armor for skimmers which if played correctly are hard to get into melta or melee range and only slightly harder to get out of the 24" threat range of the standard GK shot.

Now that is not say that GK are royaly boned vs Arm 12 Skimmers but they do need to be careful of them and do their best to take them out with the proper options. The most common option that comes to mind is the Psy Riflemen Dread. It has the range to keep most skimmers threatened and enough shots to give you a better chance of success. In the test list I am working up I plan on taking 2 Psy Rifledreads just to give added fire support. Thus today I sat down and built what I have dubbed the FrankenDread. He contains a 1993 Metal SM Dreadnaught, Aegis Defence Line AutoCannons, Venerable Dread shoulder plates, and Grey Knight Strike Squad purity seals and a Furiosodread spot light. Here are the pics







All in all  I am very pleased with how it came out. I am working on my second dread which will contain different bits from my bits box for the special dread options. I am working on the second dread's custom base as I did not have another textured dread base, what I have is stage one and I plan on adding more to the green stuff as soon as it completely hardens.




Please post any comments or ideas for FrankenDread or the second Dread or Base.




No comments:

Post a Comment